What should I look for when choosing a chiropractor?
Do I need a referral?
What should I do to prepare for my visit?
Does the chiropractor 'crack' my bones? Does anything break?
How is chiropractic different from physiotherapy/massage?
Can I be hurt?
Why do chiropractors want me to return after I already feel better?
I think I have the same problem as my friend, will it take the same number of visits to fix my problem?
I'm a new patient. How should I prepare for my visit?
What can a chiropractor treat/fix?
I'm pregnant - can I still be treated? Is it safe?
Yes. Chiropractic care is very safe and effective during pregnancy. Please let the doctor know you are pregnant so they can use the appropriate equipment/table that is designed for pregnant individuals.
Why is it important to have chiropractic check ups?
With our active lifestyles, it is reasonable to make sure our spines are functioning at their best. This is similar to when we get check ups by our dentists.
Do I need x-rays before I come in?
No. Typically the chiropractor would prefer to do an exam and then determine if x-rays are necessary. If you have recently had x-rays done relating to your injury and either have the x-rays, or report, it may be helpful during your initial visit, but is not mandatory.
My friend went to a chiropractor and s/he needed to come back for several visits and still didn't get better. If I don't get better will I need to come forever? What are my options?
No. The chiropractor should be giving specific time lines and markers to help you determine your progress. This will vary from patient to patient depending on the severity of the injury. For example, the chiropractor should provide a time frame for a reassesment. At this time, a improvement in pain, muscle tightness and ranges of motion should be present. If there is no improvement, the chiropractor should suggest a change in treatment plans. The chiropractor may also suggest another complimentary health care practitioner to help at that point. Circumstances vary between individuals – it is best to discuss your unique condition with your chiropractor.
How do handle ICBC/WorkSafeBC claims? What info should I bring? What it the procedure?
Does MSP cover chiropractic care?
The Medical Services plan covers those who are under Premium Assistance. Please see our Insurance page for details.
Does extended health cover chiropractic care?
Yes. We are not aware of any plans that do not cover visits to the chiropractor. Each plan varies in its extent of coverage, you will need to check with your extended insurance provider or employer to find out the extent of coverage.
We are able to electronically submit claims to several extended insurance providers. Please see our Insurance page for details and list of providers.
What are your visit fees?
Chiropractic Assessment &Treatment Initial Visit (you have not been a patient of Dr. McKay previously, or it has been several years since your last visit):
Over 18 years: $80.
Under 18 years: $60.
MSP Subsidized over 18 years: $55.
Under 18 years MSP Subsidized: $25.
Reassess Visit (you have been a patient of Dr. McKay, but it has been over a year since your last visit):
Over 18 years: $65.
Under 18 years: $55.
MSP Subsidized over 18 years: $40.
Under 18 years MSP Subsidized: $30.
Chiropractic Subsequent Treatment Subsequent Visit (your last visit with Dr. McKay has been within the past year)
Over 18 years: $55.
Under 18 years: $45.
MSP Subsidized over 18 years: $30.
Under 18 years MSP Subsidized: $20.
Effective January 1, 2020, our fees will be changing. Please see upcoming changes here.
Online Booking FAQs
MAKING APPOINTMENTS / REGISTRATION
How do I make an appointment online?
1) Chose the clinic you wish to make an appointment for from our Appointment Request page. (Please note that you currently cannot book online appointments for Dr. McKay in White Rock, but you can send a request)
2) You will be prompted to enter your username, email or mobile number to sign in. If you have already registered with this system, use your sign in you registered. If you haven’t created an account, it will prompt you to set a password for the account. Alternatively, you can just use your Twitter, Facebook or Google account to sign in.
3) Once you are signed in, click on “Book an Appointment”
4) You will be prompted to choose a treatment. Book a “Chiropractic Assessment & Treatment” if you have never been a patient of Dr. McKay before, or if it has been over a year since your last appointment. If you have been treated by Dr. McKay within the past year, book a “Chiropractic Subsequent Treatment”. Please do not choose a shorter visit, if it is not applicable to your situation. If you are unsure, please contact us and we can advise on the appropriate visit length.
5) If your desired time is not available, you can click on “Add yourself to the wait list” to be put on a wait list. We will contact you if a space becomes available.
What information is needed to make an online appointment?
You will need to set up an account, which will consist of a login (username), password and email address. To receive text messages, you will also need to provide your cell number.
How do I know what service I need?
Chiropractic Assessment & Treatment: You have not been a patient of Dr. McKay before, or it has been several years since your last visit or you are a returning patient and your last visit was over 1 year ago
Subsequent Chiropractic Treatment: You have had an appointment with Dr. McKay within the past year
If you are ever unsure as to when your last appointment was, feel free to contact us.
Can I make appointments for other clinics?
You can make online appointments for Richmond, Sandspit, Queen Charlotte, Port Clements and Masset clinics. We currently cannot do online appointments for Dr. McKay in the White Rock location, but you can submit an email request. See the Appointment Request page for links.
LOGINS (USERNAMES) / PASSWORDS
Each individual patient must have a unique login (username), but can share a common email with other family members.
What if I forget my username/password?
On the main login page enter your username and click “next”, then click on the “Forgot your name or password” link.
Should you have any problems with this process, please contact our office, and we can assist you.
How do I cancel an appointment?
1) Sign into your account
2) Find the appointment you want to cancel, and click the “Cancel” button